Review: Swiss Week at The Grand Hyatt Hotel, Doha

Sunday 3 May 2015

When I think of Switzerland, the first things that come to mind are breathtaking Alpine vistas, skiing and après ski, very happy people, high net wealth and dodgy Swiss bank accounts. I seem to have some fixed ideas about this beautiful country, and yet (other than knowing that they consume a lot of cheese) I have very little clue about its cuisine.

So when The Grand Hyatt Doha invited me to the media launch of Swiss Gastronomic Week at The Grill, I jumped on the opportunity to go along and try some authentic Swiss dishes for myself.

One of the best things about The Grill is that getting there requires walking the length and breadth of the hotel...


Past interesting water features lit up by twinkly lights.


And through the cavernous space of the ground floor lobby. It's almost impossible to walk past this beautiful room without stopping for a photograph.

Inside The Grill, the room was already buzzing with music and chatter when we arrived. Rich quickly sought out the very lovely Nigel Spackman, ex-football manager and former player, and now a BeIn Sports pundit, who introduced us to one of the Hyatt's top chefs.


Aside from the usual culinary crew, the Grand Hyatt has also flown in guest chef, Sebastian Wirsching from the Park Hyatt Zurich for the occasion. This means that the resulting array of delicacies have the usual attention to detail that I have come to know and expect from The Grill, but with a touch of Swiss authenticity.




Our favourite stand was, of course, the cheese stand.


Sweet mother of cheeses, there was a great selection!


But just one plateful was not enough for us cheese fiends. We also followed our noses to a half-wheel of raclette which was being heated in the traditional way, and couldn't resist another plate of cheese melted over pickles and potatoes. 
 

We took our little dishes of heaven outside to eat on the terrace with a glass of red. 
 


But we didn't sit for too long, because we didn't want to miss out on the yodeling coming from the Swiss musicians inside.

 

During the evening, I was excited to bump into fellow Doha-based expat blogger Noemi who writes two fantastic blogs that I have been reading for a while now. Check them out at: Pinnay Flying High and The Greek Pinnay.


Do you want to know how we managed to find each other?! She recognised Rich from my blog. Unbelievable. He is never going to let me hear the end of this.
 
The pièce de résistance of the evening was , as always, The Grill's dessert table which always makes me feel like a kid in a very big candy shop.
 





If you're interested in popping along then Swiss Gastronomic Week will be running every night from 6.30-midnight until Thursday. There is a choice of an a la carte, or a set menu worth QAR 250. Be sure to book, because it's likely to get busy!

 

Have you been to any of the other themed weeks or brunches offered by The Grand Hyatt? Which has been your favourite?

We were guests of the Grand Hyatt Doha this time.

16 comments:

  1. OH my gosh this looks heavenly - raclette is one of my absolute favourites - it really is beautiful! The hotel really looks stunning, I'm a big fan of Hyatt hotels.

    And no, I don't think Rich will ever let you forget that!!

    Lauren xx | The Lifestyle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed with raclette! I always make a beeline to the raclette stall when I go to Borough Market so I was over the moon to see it here! It is a great hotel. The manager is lots of fun and I think it rubs off on all of the staff. It's a happy place to be! And yes, Rich is still going on about it...deary me....

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for tagging. :) I shouldn't have said that in front of Rich probably? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it pretty much made his year so I don't mind really! He'll quieten down soon about it I hope. Pleasure my love. I'm going to get reading through all of your Philippines posts in a bit. Hope to see you soon :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. What a delicious treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty much my heaven Emma!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  4. Swiss food... I love Switzerland - in the shuttle train at Zurich airport there is the sound of cow bells and yodelling, perfect thing on arrival every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! And makes me want to visit Zurich all the more.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. Soooo much food! They clearly know how to do a buffet in Doha!
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly love a buffet! Friday brunch time is the best time to sample the famous Doha buffet...and they're the best I've ever eaten :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  6. All that delicious cheese! I first tried raclette, rosti and other such Swiss treats just a couple of years ago when I went to Switzerland for the first time - so rich but SO good! And isn't that funny that you were recognised through your other half's pic?! He must have been so pleased with that! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wherabouts in Switzerland did you go? Swiss cheese is definitely addictive! Pleased is definitely an understatement - he was over the moon (and won't stop reminding me about it!!).

      Polly xx

      Delete
  7. Just when I thought the place couldn't get anymore picturesque those stunning food photos popped up!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a fantastic hotel, made all the better by its wonderful food :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  8. Good grief, Raclette and yodelling in the same place. Sounds like heaven :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh Michelle, you have no idea! I'm tempted to go along for another night this week. When it's running until Thursday it would be rude not to right?!

      Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS