Two Years On

Monday 2 November 2015

On the 1st November 2013, I waved goodbye to my dad and brother at Heathrow and boarded a flight to Qatar. It was the first flight that I had ever purchased on a one-way ticket. It was the first time I had made the leap to live anywhere other than the UK. I was terrified.

Despite the comforting thought that Mr Sunshine (then simply 'my boyfriend') was waiting for me at the gate on the other side, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the decision I'd just made. I'd left a successful job in London, my beloved flat in Clapham and all of my family and friends behind, to pursue...what? Mr S and I had only been together for a year at this point, and I was gambling everything on the strong suspicion that he could be 'the one' to move to a city I knew very little about.


Now, two years after I said I would only stay for a year, tops, I am still in Qatar and embracing expat life. The gamble paid off in abundance. Within minutes of arriving, all doubt was cast aside. I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with this man. Within days, I had my first interview for what transpired to be the best job I have ever had. Within months, I had established my blog and was beginning to build up a small but dedicated following. Within a year, the man I had moved to the other side of the world for had asked whether I might consider becoming his Mrs Sunshine. Within two, we were married, and now we are expecting our first child.


But I am not writing this to gloat at how brilliantly my life turned out. I am writing this to urge you to do the same. Whatever that thing is that terrifies you, whatever gamble you're holding back rolling the dice on, whatever cliff edge you are stuck at...just go for it. Take the leap, and don't look back. As with any leap of faith, things will change and may be confusing for a while, but it will nearly always pay off in the end. A very good friend told me once that you only regret the things you don't do. Don't leave yourself with any regrets in life, for they have a terrible habit of lingering on forever.


What brave decision are you going to make today? You never know, it could change your life forever!


28 comments:

  1. Ahhh Polly this is amazing! A truly inspiring story :) A few leaps I'm toying with - might just be tipping more towards the side of "oh just do it!"

    Lauren xx | The Lifestyle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very excited to hear about your 'leaps' - fingers crossed for you love, I hope it all works out swimmingly :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Polly! Such a fairytale ending for you both, only a year in, that really was a big leap of faith and you obviously knew you could trust your instincts! I've had a mixed bag of outcomes when it comes to taking leaps of faith, though lucked out with my hubby of course but these days, I kind of prefer to just enjoy one day at a time and find that approach, for me anyway, keeps me level headed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a sensible approach to me. You have to do what is right and what works for you! I think some difficult things require a big leap of faith, but lots of things in life, you should be a lot more relaxed about too - the laid back 'let's just see what happens' approach is sometimes a little less stressful!!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Dohanniversary! Good that you took that leap and everything worked out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy expatversary! A lovely inspiring message well supported by where you have got to :) I can verify that moving to a new country might be the scariest thing anyone does but when it pays off, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love. It's great to hear that other fellow expats feel the same :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely post, Polly - so much has happened in a blink of an eye! I'm sure lots of people debating the same decision you made 2 years ago will be glad to read this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime! Things have moved quite quickly... I know you made a very similar decision not so long ago, and that knowing a few expat success stories through bloggers like you really helped me when I first came out here and everything was new and scary!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  6. Needed this Polly - I am biding my time but will need to take 'that leap' at some point!! So pleased it all worked out so well for you. Lots of love, Andrea xxx

    Andrea's Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased this came at the right time for you! Are you considering moving abroad at some point too?! Whatever it is, do it :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  7. Happy two year anniversary!! Wow, a lot happens in two years and I'm so happy for you that it all worked out so well.
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :-) I am loving your holiday snaps - can't wait to hear all about it!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  8. I love this post! So much can happen in 2 years and what a time you've had! I definitely identify with this, as Rich and I moved to Valencia when we'd only been together 9 months. It seemed like such a massive gamble and that was so unlike me, but despite all the ups and downs along the way, I love expat life and couldn't be happier that I took that chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might identify with this one :-) I always think of you when I think about leaps of faith - you're going through one right now - not many people would live alone in a foreign country with their husband living elsewhere for the good of their future. Think you're pretty awesome. So pleased everything worked out amazingly for you two.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  9. You are 100% correct Mrs Sunshine! Fortune favours the brave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People like you Mrs LondonKiwi :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  10. You are so right! The hardest decisions are usually the best. I really needed to read this!

    C x | Lux Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased this came at the right time for you C! I couldn't agree more.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  11. You trusted your instincts and they paid off - having met Mr Sunshine, he is a gentleman and I'm very happy for you both...and soon to be 3!

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be very chuffed to hear you call him that Suze I'm sure :-) thanks for your lovely words.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  12. I am a great believer in fate, a true love story. I met the man of my dreams in a similar way, taking a punt and doing something that was so out of character. Best decision ever. Glad that you have found happiness Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww congrats, I would love to hear this story one day :-) All the best love stories begin that way. Thanks for your sweet words Lucy.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  13. You really are a ray of sunshine. You are able to see the good in everything and be happy and that is a very special talent. Even when I'm happy I'm not really happy unless I have something to be cynical about ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww that's a lovely comment, thanks Frankie! Believe me when I say that I'm not always a ray of sunshine...in face I can be quite the opposite at times. But I try! I wish I had your sarcasm and cynical humour sometimes though!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  14. Such a fabulous way to look at it. I really admire you and Rosalyn. I took a huge leap when I moved to London and it was one of the best things I ever did. Now I'm just itching for the next change! Watch this space xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely. I have so much admiration for any person that's put themselves out there and decided to embrace expat life for a bit - you included! Excited to hear what your next change is going to be!

      Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS