6 places I hope to explore in 2015

Thursday 1 January 2015

Happy new year everybody! I think it's going to be a good one. In fact, I can't remember starting any other year feeling as excited as I do about 2015. This might have something to do with the little fact that I'M GETTING MARRIED THIS YEAR!!!...(ahem)...but it's also because it's going to be a year of expanding my horizons and meeting many longterm goals that I've set myself.

One of these goals is to get out and explore the world a bit more, and what better time to do this than in the course of a year which includes my honeymoon, mine and Rich's 30th birthdays and a second, more settled year of living in my adopted country of Qatar which sits right in the centre of some of the most wanderlust-satisfying regions of the world.

Without further ado, here are the top 6 places that I hope to explore in 2015.

1. Muscat, Oman


Image courtesy of www.layoverguide.com

This beautiful Middle Eastern city is just an hour and a half's flight from Doha, but in many ways it couldn't be more different. Its volcanic geography, rugged terrain and interesting history has led to the development of a settlement which is punctuated by stunning landscapes and notable landmarks. And when it's this close to home, it would be ludicrous not to make the trip over there for a long weekend sometime soon.

2. The Maldives


Image courtesy of www.mkalty.org

Again, the gem that is the island nation of The Maldives is so nearby that it has been tempting me with its tranquil turquoise seas since I very first landed in Qatar. A short 4 hour flight, and we could be basking in the sun on those infamous beaches, sleeping in water bungalows and hopping into boats to nip between the idyllic islands that make up this heaven-like Archipelago in the Indian Ocean.

3. Canada


Image courtesy of www.craveoline.com

Working for a World Cup committee means that I have been lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to travel to some fantastic locations with my job. Last year, it was Sao Paulo, Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Next on the agenda is a potential trip to Canada for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup, although I am not getting my hopes up in case this doesn't come about or I have to stay behind! However, if it does, I would love nothing more than to explore one of the host cities of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottowa, Montreal or Montcon while watching some inspirational women play a traditionally "male sport" to a world class standard.

4. Ibiza

Image courtesy of Pinterest

We will be starting our honeymoon in July in style, with a suite in The Ushuaia Beach Hotel in Ibiza, while some of the world's best DJs play in the open air club by the pool below our balcony. What do you think? Not very traditional huh?! This was Rich's idea as he has so many good memories from this little party island. We both love our dance music and I have never been, so it seems like a great opportunity to start off married life with a bang!

5. The Amalfi Coast, Italy


Image courtesy of Pinterest

After partying our little socks off in Ibiza, we will be seeking a slower pace of life for a bit of rest and relaxation. And where better to do this than the Amalfi Coast? The Hotel Santa Catarina (pictured) would be the perfect place to start off with some chill-time by the pool which is overhung by the spectacular cliffs that make up the dramatic coastline, before exploring some of the islands such as Capri while sipping on a Limoncello or two. Mmmm...

6. Dubrovnik, Croatia

Image courtesy of www.villasigurata.com

Last but not least, our friends Sarah and Mike are getting married in the stunning city of Dubrovnik in September and they have organised a truly unique wedding near to the pretty views of the boats of the Old Harbour. I really hope that we will get the chance to celebrate with them, and who knows, we may even get the opportunity to travel a little further afield and explore the beautiful Dalmation Coast while we are there...

A girl can dream.


What will you do more of in 2015 to make you happy?

I have posted this as part of EmmaKelly and Rebecca's first Travel Link-Up of the year. Head over to any of the girls' blogs to add your own post on the topic of Your Travel Wishlist for 2015.

26 comments:

  1. ok so dubrovnik is the cutest place I have ever been! Ibiza is also so beautiful, and has one of the most beautiful sunsets in the world. The amalfi coast -- I mean it's amazing. I've only been to Montreal in Canada, but I definitely recommend it!

    Giveaway on my blog!

    http://hashtagliz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks Liz - you've been to so many of these places! Very much looking forward to Ibiza's sunsets, and Montreal does sound amazing. Exciting times ahead :-) Polly xx

      Delete
  2. All these travels sound so awesome! I'm so jealous you work for the World Cup (I'm an American expat in Germany so this past summer was a blast for me)! You have some awesome trips planned for 2015! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I bet you got to watch some awesome games in some of the pubs out there this summer! Such a brilliant result for Germany AND America - some of my Brazilian friends were absolutely gutted though! Thank you my dear, Polly xx

      Delete
  3. Great list for 2015 Polly! I visited Muscat in Oman back in 2010 and it was amazing, we ended up hiring a car and leaving our hotel and doing little trips into the countryside - loved it! Ahh The Maldives, if you need someone to carry your bags please let me know... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, I'm going to contact you before I go to Oman to get all of your tips! We'll definitely hire a car too I think as I've heard that there's so much to explore, and if we're only there for a few days we'll want to pack it in. Kelly, you're welcome to join me in the Maldives whenever you like my dear! Polly xx

      Delete
  4. Travel is definitely on my list for 2015! I'd love to go to Bora Bora and Greece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choices! Bora Bora was on our list of potential honeymoon destinations but we wrote it off because it's so remote - but wow, what a trip that would be! I love Greece too. Good luck with fulfilling your travel wish list! Polly xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that you are having your honeymoon in Ibiza! It is such a great place and I hope I can get back there this year! I can of course recommend that Maldives too, such a stunning location and your so close too! Best wishes for the year ahead, wedding year for me was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I'm so pleased that you don't think Ibiza is a completely whacky idea for a honeymoon! Do you have any good recommendations for a romantic time while we're there? I don't want to spend the whole time raving!!! ;-) Thanks for the best wishes my love. I'm so excited! Polly xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, you've chosen so many amazing spots, Polly! Oman and the Maldives sound especially appealing, given the fact that it's the middle of winter in London and I'd love some sunshine! All the best for 2015 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know how you feel Kasha, I just returned from London and it's BALTIC! Hope you find somewhere snug and warm to head to at some point this year to get away from it all. Have a great new year. Polly xx

      Delete
  7. So many fantastic places to explore this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you! Looks like it's going to be a good year if we manage to pull all of these plans off. Polly xx

      Delete
  8. My parents went to Oman and said the people there are incredibly friendly. I'm off to the Amalfi Coast for a wedding in September, should be amazing!

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same thing! I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the locals contribute a lot to the local economy rather than relying on expats (quite unusual for a Middle Eastern country!). Apparently the local Omani taxi drivers are incredibly helpful and friendly. Brilliant, I will look forward to reading all about your experiences in September then! We're going to be there in July so if I can offer any tips before then, I will! Polly xx

      Delete
  9. Wow you have such an exciting year ahead! Although I don't envy the stress of planning the wedding, the travel sounds just about perfect. Have an awesome 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek, don't remind me about the wedding planning - so much to sort out in so little time...and I'm half the world away from where the wedding's actually taking place! But yes, a few of these travels should help relieve some of the tension! Happy new year, I hope 2015 is a great one for you! Polly xx

      Delete
  10. Definitely visit Canada if you can. But you'll definitely have to do some planning. There is so much to see. I live in Toronto, and you're looking for a big city, that's the one. But if you want to do more outdoorsy things, I'd check out BC. I love the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with my Canada visit (if it happens) is that I will probably be working while I'm there. I might have to sneak a few days either side of my trip in if I can. I've heard great things about both Toronto and BC but I'm a big nature lover so maybe BC is the one! Thanks for the tips, Polly xx

      Delete
  11. You have some awesome and unique places on your wish list so I look forward to following along your adventures this year! The Amalfi Coast is one of my top places I want to visit so I can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures. I really hope you get to go to Croatia, too. One of my best friends is Croatian and goes back every summer. His pictures are always so incredible so I think you are in for a treat!
    Carolann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolann, I really hope I can stick to this wishlist! Look out for Amalfi Coast posts towards the end of July/August. I am more excited about this trip than any other as I LOVE Italy - the wine, the food, the people, the geography...but mainly because it's going to be pretty special to share it all as man and wife - as I know you can relate to! Very excited about Croatia too. I've just read your post - your road trip through New Zealand sounds like a lifetime dream. Can't wait to hear all about it, Polly xx

      Delete
  12. Fab! Being based out of Qatar is really handy for your travel plans. Except Canada, everything else is a short flight. I really liked Dubrovnik when we were there. We spent our honeymoon at the Santa Caterina Hotel on the Amalfi coast - so great memories there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This is definitely one of the best things about my little Middle Eastern country. Oooo, any advice/tips on the Amalfi Coast that you can share? I love the look of this hotel, would you recommend it? Polly xx

      Delete
  13. What an interesting mix of places. All those destinations are sure to keep anyone happy. What an exciting year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that 2015 is going to be the best year yet...it's not going to be too kind on my bank account however!!! Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS