Home is where the heart is

Monday 28 October 2013

From a young age, I struggled with the concept of home. I think it's because we moved around the country so much that the thought a fixed abode that I was born into and always came back to at weekends and holidays was pretty alien to me.

First we lived in a cottage in the middle of the Welsh countryside.

Next came a house in a pretty village on the Northamptonshire/Leicestershire border.

And later a retreat to my mum's homeland when we moved to her former house keeper's cottage on our family's estate in Essex.

All this moving around is probably why I grew up thinking of home as simply wherever Mummy Bags happened to be at that point in time.




This place is currently, and has been for the past eight years, Hathersage in the Peak District. My family love it here so much that I can't see them ever moving again. These pictures might help you to understand why!


Home from the inside looking out:






Home a hop, step and a jump from the front door:








As I got a bit older, I started to think of home in a different way. Gaining some independence during my university days, I began to see Nottingham as somewhere that I could start to carve out my own little place in the world. Then I got my first real job in London, and there was borne the beginning of a lifetime love affair with a city that I know I will always return to as my spiritual and cultural home.


Now, five years after I first moved to London, I am about to make another, even bigger move to a home very different from any that have come before. A new culture, language, climate and religious ideology awaits me.


In four days time, I move to Doha, Qatar...the Middle East. 


This will be home when I get there, what do you think?




There is an important reason for this big move. For the past year or so, my concept of home has changed yet again. Without wanting to sound too sentimental (oh sod it, I'm going there)...these days it's all about love.

So the desert, for now, it is! Until Christmas comes and then home will be where the stockings are. 

Fickle, moi?!

1 comment:

  1. sững sờ , lại thêm một lá cờ phần phật tung bay trong gió trên độ cao ba mươi thước , y hệt như gia huy của Hương Loan và Tư Thiết Lạp , thậm chí đồ hình có phần tinh xảo hơn . Xe ngựa lọc cọc tiến vào điện tiền , hai bên có hai hàng võ sĩ đứng đợi , người nào người ấy cao hơn hai thước , trong tay nắm chặt kim thương ,đồng tâm
    game mu
    cho thuê nhà trọ
    cho thuê phòng trọ
    nhac san cuc manh
    số điện thoại tư vấn pháp luật miễn phí
    văn phòng luật
    tổng đài tư vấn pháp luật
    dịch vụ thành lập công ty
    http://we-cooking.com/
    chém gió
    nhìn qua có vẻ đơn giản nhưng thực ra mỗi kim thương đều có sức nặng kinh người . Tư Thiết Lạp thì thầm nói cho Âm Trúc biết , mỗi võ sĩ này thực lực đều đạt tới lam cấp , mặc dù nhân số không nhiều lắm , nhưng là những cấm vệ quân tinh nhuệ nhất trong hoàng cung .
    “ Chúng ta vào thôi “ . Hương Loan hướng tới Diệp Âm Trúc gật đầu , cùng Tư Thiết Lạp đi trước , Áo Lợi Duy Lạp và Âm Trúc đi sau tiến vào đại điện . Đại điện bên trong cực kỳ huy hoàng , các loại trang sức khiến người khác chói hết cả mắt , đủ đế thấy sự xa hoa lông lẫy của nó . Bất quá Diệp Âm Trúc có cảm giác không khí nơi đây có chút âm u , khiến hắn không thấy thoải mái . Hai bên đại điện , cứ mỗi năm thước lại có một kim chuy võ sĩ đứng canh , trước mặt võ sĩ là những đại thần của đế quốc , bên trái là quan văn , bên phải là võ tướng , nhìn sơ qua khoảng chừng trăm lúc đang nhìn về phía trước, Diệp Âm Trúc không khỏi sửng sốt một chút, một người ngay ngắn ngồi trên ngai vàng Mễ Lan, hiển nhiên chính là Mễ Lan đại đế Tây Nhĩ Duy Áo - Bối Lỗ Tư Khoa Ni. Tối nay Âm Trúc kinh ngạc chính là, vị Tây Nhĩ Duy

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS