Pregnancy Update: Week 13

Wednesday 23 September 2015

The end of my first trimester has come and gone at last! Hoo-flipping-rah! Monday marked the start of my thirteenth week of pregnancy, and almost as though a light had been switched on overnight, I woke up with less sickness, more energy and a happier outlook on life. So it is true what they say about the 'happy second trimester' after all! What a relief.

Bumpdate


I've noticed a considerable change to my bump this week, particularly after I've eaten! It seems to have popped out a little more, and I'm starting to look a bit more shapely. According to one of my many pregnancy Apps, the baby is now about 3 inches long (think the size of a peach), but weighs only 0.81 of an ounce.



The most exciting bump-related news of the week is that I've started to feel a bit of movement in there. This is quite early compared to most mothers, who can generally expect to start feeling something between 16 and 25 weeks, but the tiny ticklish movements inside me have been unmistakeable!

Symptoms 


The sickness lingered into last week, but this week it has all but gone. I still experience a bit of queasiness here and there, but mainly just when I haven't eaten or drunk anything for a while, and I am low on blood sugar. I also get quite irritable during these times (I've coined the phrase 'Extreme Pregnancy Hanger' (EPH) for these occasions), but luckily I have an excellent hunter gatherer in the form of Mr Sunshine who has done very well at making sure I'm kept well fed at all times, thereby preventing the beast from being unleashed!

We have come back to the UK for the week to see family and friends, and as a result we have been packing quite a lot into our days, which I have found quite tiring. However, it's nowhere near the gut-wrenching exhaustion that I have experienced over the past few weeks, and just so long as I manage a full 7-8 hours sleep a night (punctuated of course by the inevitable dashing to the toilet at about 4am!), then I've found I can manage just fine.

I am hoping that this week is a good sign of things to come, rather than an anomaly! Please keep everything crossed that things are now on the up for us three :-)

What I've been eating


I definitely need to eat little and often these days, so instead of sticking to three set meals, I'm tending to snack throughout the day. At the same time, I'm trying to ensure that these snacks are as healthy and wholesome as possible. Luckily, this is quite easy to accomplish in London. A superfood salad from Pret; a freshly made soup from a little delhi in Chelsea; a fridge pack of mango slices from Waitrose, and of course, the odd naughty pub meal and bar of chocolate here and there...I'm starting to enjoy food a lot more than I did in the last trimester.

My new craving is cream cheese and marmite on toast in the morning with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. Sounds bizarre, but it is simply beaut. And I didn't even used to like marmite!

How I've been feeling


Pretty damn good actually! You know when you've been sick for ages and you didn't realise just how sick until you start to get better and feel like yourself again? Well, it's kind of like that. I've loved being able to walk through old haunts in London, arm in arm with Mr Sunshine, and to take my two year old nephew on a trip to London Zoo, and to be able to get up early enough to enjoy a sitting for brunch at the Duck & Waffle. It's obviously been amazing to be able to share my pregnancy properly at last with all of our family and friends, who have been so supportive and excited!!

Feeling our baby move inside me was obviously the crowning moment of this week. I can't tell you how much I love this little being already, and we still have six months to go before we meet him or her!

What I've been wearing


Coming back to London has meant that I can finally get my mitts on some proper maternity wear, something which is pretty difficult to find back in Doha. I definitely need a few choice items in my wardrobe now, as my jeans are getting tighter and more uncomfortable around the middle, and tops don't seem to sit right any more. I had visions of only being able to find frumpy, lumpy-looking items that resembled bedsheets, but Topshop surprised me with a few really nice (and more to the point, amazingly comfy!) pieces. I also bought a few over-sized bits and bobs from New Look and Zara while we were out shopping - see below for all the details.










The products I've been using


I slap on a bit of this Mother's Balm from Neal's Yard morning and night - to ward away any unwanted stretch marks across my tummy and boobs (luckily there is nothing as yet!).


I love it because it's made from completely natural ingredients, so I know I'm not subjecting the baby to any unnecessary chemicals.

I've also been using this organic moisturising lotion with manuka honey by dr. organic for my dry legs and arms, which has worked a treat.


This week, I also moved from the Elevit Pronatal multivitamins and minerals that I was taking, to Pregnacare, which are much more widely used in the UK and seem to have far better reviews! So far, no complaints.

Baby bits


Coming home has meant that we have been inundated with gifts of all shapes and sizes. My favourite baby-related gift this week was this teeny-weeny baby cardigan, lovingly hand-knitted by Rich's grandma, Yvonne. Isn't it gorgeous?!



Link of the week


All Doha-based mummies or mummies-to-be should join the Positive Birth Doha Facebook page which provides a forum for mums to share useful resources, advice and services in the area. I have been on the page every day since I joined and it's already proven to be incredibly useful. They also have a sales page if you're looking to buy or sell baby-related items, which you can find here.

Final words


I've read hundreds of these weekly summaries by other mummy-to-be bloggers since I became pregnant, and I think they're a really nice way to document your pregnancy journey, so I will be attempting to post an update once a week from now on. I've tried to only include information that's interesting or useful, but please do let me know if there is anything else you would like to know about that I've missed!

Thank you soo much to everybody's incredibly kind and supportive comments so far - I have to admit I shed a little tear reading through them all. Things have been ridiculously busy but I will reply to each and every one of them very soon. At the same time, a new Doha restaurant review and my honeymoon posts are also on their way shortly, I promise!

Thanks for following along with the next step of my pregnancy journey. I can't wait to see what next week has in store.

20 comments:

  1. So happy you're finally feeling a little bit better. Documenting this journey and reading about all the details from a real-life person is so interesting and exciting! Sending your way a big hug from Brussels :)

    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! Big hug returned from Doha :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. I am still very happy for you and I am glad that you are feeling better :) The cardigan is definitely the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't stop looking at it!! Thank you lovely.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you've started to feel better. I love the cardigan!! So cute :)
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cardigan is adorable! You're gonna have the cutest baby bump ever - you've got that figure where it'll look like someone's just stuck a belly on you! Also my mum swore by Johnson's baby oil - she didn't get a single stretchmark through both of her pregnancies by using it every day, morning and night.

    C x | Lux Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so...let's see what I look like in another 6 weeks hey?! I might have to give Johnson's Baby Oil a go, thanks for the tip.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. such a great post! you look beautiful! I hope you have an amazing rest of your pregnancy

    http://hashtagliz.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks Liz! It seems to be getting better and better, so hopefully it will continue like this!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous little cardigan and I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Your bump looks smaller than my stomach on a good day ;-0

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think of all the cutesie baby outfits - squee!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bumpdate is a great little word! Can't believe you've already started feeling movement - eeek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooow! Although I ran it by my doctor and they said it can't be possible. But I'm convinced I've felt something on numerous occasions!!!!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  9. Glad that you are feeling better, I thought my sickness would never end and your right you don't realise how much better you feel till it stops. Your baby bump is beautiful. Top shop is perfect for clothing as is jojo ma bebe. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you're finally feeling better now Lucy! Thanks lovely. Ooo, I will have to check out JoJo Ma Bebe. Thanks.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  10. Is it just me or is this pregnancy just flying by? Probably because I'm not the one doing it ;) Happy that you're feeling bright and lovely x

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS