Pregnancy Update: Weeks 21-23

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Bumpdate


It's been a while since my last bumpdate because I've been battling with a horrible bout of Doha flu and the effort it has taken to turn my laptop on to write a heartfelt post was just too much for me. More on that in a minute! Because I haven't shown you my progress for a while, I think you might notice quite a bit of a change this week! My tummy definitely became rounder, and my tummy button is definitely almost out now. Do you think I look like a proper pregnant lady yet?!



We went for another scan last Thursday, and the doctor said that our 'little' girl now weighs 500 grams (just over a pound!) and is a foot long. And she's growing by the day!

Symptoms


In the last week, mainly flu. Headaches, sore throat, hacking cough, running nose, temperature. You name it I've had it. Flu is always nasty, but flu when pregnant is the worst. I was really worried that the little one was going to be affected by it, but a check-up at the doctor and a quick scan put my mind at rest.

On a much nicer note, the little kicks I've been feeling have continued to get stronger and more regular, and I feel like I fall in love a little more every time I feel them. A new thing I've noticed over the past few weeks is how much she seems to love Adele. If I turn Hello up to full volume, she does a funny little boogie in my tummy, with feet kicking and arms flailing. She's obviously inherited her dad's dance moves!!

What I've been eating


I have experienced a huge increase in my appetite over the past few weeks, which has been satisfied by lots of lovely meals out.








How I've been feeling


Very mixed emotions over the past few weeks. We moved into a new flat with a second bedroom and we have started to decorate the nursery. I can't tell you how excited I've been picking out furniture and soft furnishings for our little girl's future bedroom! It's turning into a lovely space, and I can't wait to share in with you in due course. I have also booked myself and Rich in to a positive birth class in early January which teaches you all the skills required for a calm and natural birth. I have been reading a lot about this recently and have made the decision that as far as I'm able I'd like to avoid any interventions. Let's see how long this lasts once I actually go into labour! Rich and I have also started investigating important things like which hospital I'm going to give birth in and which consultant will deliver our baby - positive and exciting decisions which are starting to make giving birth feel all too real!

The other side of the past few weeks has been less than cheerful. Illness always puts a dampener on any good mood, and I've struggled with horrible fatigue. This has been made even more difficult by an incredibly busy time at work. Last night we had a big event in Qatar and now I'm currently sitting in an airport in Amman, Jordan waiting to board a flight to Aqaba for another event tomorrow and while I'm super excited about it I'm also desperate for a break. Bring on the Christmas hols!!

What I've been wearing


Slouchy t-shirts a size or two larger than my usual size have become my new best friend.


This gorgeous embellished t-shirt is from Ted Baker.

Products I've been using


I've finally found a face wash which is delicate enough for me to feel comfortable using while pregnant, yet strong enough to remove my make-up at the end of the day. Hoorah! This Body Shop staple is a real winner, pregnancy or no pregnancy and my face has never felt so soft since using it!

I have also continued to use my stetch mark cream and mother's balm on a daily basis, and so far no stretch marks. Touch wood this continues.

Baby bits


I don't want to give too much away because I will be doing a full nursery tour post shortly, but my friend Donna gave us a gorgeous bassinet with rocker which was used by her little one Lachie. It makes me go a little gooey every time I look at it. There will be more on this and the rest of the nursery in early Jan!


Link of the week


There are heaps and heaps of links that I discovered on my sick bed over the past week, so I'll be trickling these over to you as time goes on.

For now, here is by far the best maternity wear store I have found to date: https://www.isabellaoliver.com/uk

Thank you Isabella Oliver. Yes ladies, you can look good pregnant!!

Final words


If there is one thing that I've learnt since being pregnant, it's that all the smallest hardships are worth it. A million times over. Even a severe bout of Doha flu.

12 comments:

  1. Looking great and I'm glad to read your appetite is back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I really missed food...

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. Every moment (,sniffel, sneeze) will be worth it for that pitter patter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you've been feeling poorly, Polly but how exciting that you've moved to a new flat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suze, we're loving the flat! It's been really fun to deck it out and make it feel like a proper family home.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  4. Yep, there's defintiely something in there! You look fab! Shame about the flu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm starting to believe it myself now! Thanks Frankie. Flu-schmoo. Nothing's going to get me down at the moment :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful bump! The Positive Birth class sounds good. I did an online hypnobirthing class called The Calm Birth School and it was so, so useful for preparing myself mentally for the birth. I found the breathing techniques I learnt so useful in labour too and managed with just a little gas & air. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! I was so happy to discover your blog recently, it's a great source of inspiration for me :-) I love the sound of the Calm Birth School, I'm going to have to look that up. Impressed about your achievements in labour - these techniques must really work then!!

      Thanks for the kind words,
      Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS