Our Honeymoon: Casa Angelina, Amalfi Coast

Friday 5 February 2016

We arrived on the Amalfi Coast on a baking hot morning in July, and I instantly fell in love.

 
There aren't many places in this world that can make you feel as though your soul has come alive, and that somehow you just 'belong' there, but for me this short stretch of coastline in South-West Italy is one of them. I could easily have handed in my notice back in Qatar right there and then, purchased a little boat and lived happily ever after with my new husband, exploring the aqua shores of the Med that lap against the dramatic cliffs. Yes, it's safe to say that I was a little smitten.

Of course, this new-found infatuation was probably helped along by the fact that the first stop on our journey along the coast was a rather astonishing boutique, luxury hotel and one of the most beautiful and relaxing places I had ever stayed.



Casa Angelina Lifestyle Hotel, in the tiny hamlet of Praiano is one of our honeymoon hotels that we still reminisce about with nostalgia and fondness. It is an unusual sight on the Amalfi Coast because rather than a rustic and rambling old dwelling, it is an elegant, unique and exclusive space which is brand-spanking new (it opened in 2005) and is packed with contemporary art and adorned with exposed wooden floors and enormous floor to ceiling windows which flood the hotel with light.




I loved the Murano glass figurines which are displayed throughout the communal spaces of the hotel, lovingly collected over the years by the hotel's artistic owner.



Our room was a clean, bright and comfortable haven, with some extra special touches which helped us to feel at home and comfortable.






Outside, we had a good-sized balcony sporting two sun loungers and a jaw-dropping view over the cliffs of neighbouring Positano, and the vibrant blue Mediterranean stretching out towards Capri in the distance.



It was the perfect place to crack open the first of many complimentary bottles of Prosecco that we were going to enjoy as we traveled down the Amalfi Coast.


We spent our first few days doing very little. We explored the area around the hotel, and took the elevator that is cut into the rock of the cliffside down to the hotel's shared beach club at the water's edge.



However, most of our time was spent basking in the warm sunshine on the poolside deck below our room, more often than not with a glass of Limoncello or Negroni in one hand; a book in the other.





The pool itself is quite small and by far the least remarkable of our stay on the Amalfi Coast, but it was perfect for a cooling dip. We spent a lot of time wallowing in the waters, making plans and chatting with the other guests.



When our stomachs grumbled, we moved across to the Marrakech Bar, where we sat out on the terrace and enjoyed the view from our cliff-edge perch, or moved inside to lounge on one of the sumptuous Gervasoni sofas. Here, a variety of salads, home made pastas and the catch of the day are served from homely Le Creuset pots.





The food at Casa Angelina is surpassed by very few hotels we have stayed in to date. Breakfast stands out in particular, as it is an almighty affair with ample choice. When faced with such a gorgeous display, it was very difficult not to opt for a little bit of everything.






However, the main event of the day at Casa Angelina is supper time. Like breakfast, it is served in the restaurant's rooftop restaurant, Un Piano el Cielo, "a floor in the sky". With gourmet, locally-sourced and seasonal cuisine, as well as a variety of local wines on the menu, Mr Sunshine and I were in our element.








Watching the sun go down over the Mediterranean Sea from that spot with my new husband on our first evening on the Amalfi Coast is a moment I will never forget.


But just five nights later, and what felt like as soon as it had begun, our Casa Angelina love story was over. We enjoyed a final evening of aperitifs beside the pool as the sun went down...




Before retiring for our last night.

Early next morning, we were off on a brand new adventure, but I wasn't quite sure I was ready to leave.


We purchased a Comfort Double, but were upgraded to a Premier Double with sea view. 

Casa Angelina is currently closed for the Winter, but will re-open on March 24th 2016. In the meantime, the hotel is still taking bookings.

I am posting this as part of the monthly travel link-up with AngieJessi, Emma and guest Kaelene. This month it's all about luuuurve, and if you want to join in, head over to one of their blogs before 7th January to link up your post.

24 comments:

  1. This is such a gorgeous spot! It actually feels a little cruel seeing all those lovely blue sea and sky shots when I know all there is outside my window right now is grey hahah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm sorry Connie! Maybe use it as inspiration for a spot of holiday planning?! ;-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. This place is just gorgeous - so different to so many of the others along that coast, I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely different, and I wasn't sure the contemporary style would be to my taste but I absolutely loved it!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. All that beautiful white...it looks so heavenly!! So tell me what did you prefer Angelina or Monastero?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so clean and bright! Loved how big the windows were too, so that your eyes were constantly drawn to the blue sea and sky outside. That is SUCH A DIFFICULT question!! I'm afraid I'm going to make you wait until the Monastero blog post for the answer ;-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
    2. Lol! In all honesty, I use to gaze at photos of Casa Angelina when I worked at Mr & Mrs Smith and I dreamt of going there...but one of my friends went to Italy on her honeymoon too and totally loved Monastero but was disappointed by Angelina. Glad to to know it's not a disappointment.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's so surprising! Do you know what they were unhappy with? I can honestly say that both were amazing in their own ways. But sooo different.

      Xxx

      Delete
  4. What an absolute dream location! Those sunset shots are just beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skies were seriously stunning every single night. We had the best vantage point from the restaurant and pool too!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. The pictures are absolutely breath-taking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miu, it was very difficult to take a bad photo here!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, your pictures are stunning! I love this hotel, even though I've never been I used to sell it to customers at my previous job although to be honest the pictures sell themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette! What a lovely, easy job you must have had with this hotel! :-) You must visit one day, I'm sure you would absolutely love it.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  7. What a perfect destination for a honeymoon! I love all the Murano glass artworks and you both look so relaxed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were! It was so hard to leave. The Murano art was stunning, and literally everywhere. We even spotted one on the roof!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  8. There is something hauntingly glorious about Italy, isn't there? And when you add swoon-worthy hotel stays like this into the mix...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This hotel is EXACTLY the kind of place I love - boutique luxury, gorgeous views but somewhere where you felt comfortable and at home! I'd LOVE to visit one day ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd love this place Shikha, it is so you!! You really must visit, and let me come back with you!!! :-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous place to stay! I have the Amalfi coast high on my travel bucket list, the blue water just looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day you're going to have to go. You're spot on, I've never seen blue like I did in Amalfi!! So beautiful.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  11. WOW how incredible. From the little details to the stunning views, it seems pretty much perfect! I'd love to stay there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much perfect sums it up! It was so difficult to fault it. Goo, you wouldn't regret it!

      Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS