6 Reasons Not To Worry About The Future

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Why are we (and by we, I mean girls, and specifically the types of emotionally switched on and reflective girls who read and write blogs) so bad when it comes to worrying?

I have struggled with worry in every facet of life at some point in time. Upcoming important deadlines at work have left me with sleepless nights and weary eyes, big life changes like moving house (and countries!) have exacerbated anxieties and made me fret, and relationship concerns have reduced me to tears on more occasions than I would like to admit. Do you want to know the one thing that all these negative thoughts have had in common? Not once have they been based on what is actually happening in my life, and therefore I have put myself through torture on occasion over things that aren't even real. What a bloody waste of time!


Here are 6 reasons why I no longer worry about the future (and why I think you shouldn't either).

1. It probably won't even happen!


Are you the type of person that is always wondering, "What if...?". I can guarantee you that 99% of the times that you are worried about some tragic outcome materialising, it won't. Nope, not even close. Stop wasting your time and energy fretting over things that will never come about, and get out there and enjoy yourself!

2. And if it does, you'll cope


So very occasionally in life, horrible things do happen. This doesn't mean we have to wait for them though, because these things are unpredictable and often come when you're least expecting them to. The thing to hang on to however, is that you will be OK. You are much stronger than you think, and can deal with whatever life throws at you. Hold onto the fact that everything happens for a reason. If you think like this, then there is never a negative outcome to anything that will ever happen to you in life.

3. It's counterproductive


The issue with worry is that you spend so much time thinking that you forget to concentrate on acting. Worrying clouds your thoughts, directs you away from the things that are important and leads to unnecessary stress which may compound the very thing you were worrying about in the first place! If you want to channel your over-active imagination in a more useful way, use it to write a list of actions on what to do to overcome your worry, or get yourself out of the sticky situation you are worrying about.

4. It won't be important in the future


Whatever is worrying you right now will be nothing but a distant memory in years to come. Can you remember the things that were troubling you five, ten or fifteen years ago? Chances are that whatever it is that's an issue for you now won't even factor in your life this time next year. Think back to when you were a teenager, and you used to worry about talking to boys or what people thought of your clothes - now you couldn't give a damn (well, you care less anyway).

5. It prevents you from enjoying the present


This is cheesy, but the saying, "yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why it's called the present" is such a truism. Live by it.

6. Learning not to worry sets you free!


As soon as you train your brain to stop worrying, you will become more relaxed, healthier in mind and body and nicer to be around. You will sleep better, and therefore look better and be more on the ball. Best of all, learning to let go of things that you can't control is a very liberating feeling. Once you master it, you will never look back.


What do you worry about, and what advice would you give to others for coping with worry?

10 comments:

  1. I love this - I'm such a worrier (definitely inherited from my dad) and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this! I like the headings of your 6 different points - just in themselves they are good mantras to live by!

    Sophie :)

    http://octobersgirlblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie, I'm so pleased this resonated with you!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. I can't tell you how many times I've worried about something that as never happened and is never likely to happen, yet we can't help ourselves. Let's free our minds :)
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more Angie - love the way you put that!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. Oh I am exactly like that and this post is absolutely right! I'm always thinking of the worst case scenario and more often than not, these are just a product of my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really annoying looking back on all that time spent worrying over something that doesn't exist huh?! At the time it seems all so real!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  4. Very perceptive, Pol: I think you've nailed it. Worrying about something that may not - in fact probably does not - exist is like lying in bed thinking that there is something unpleasant under it waiting to grab your ankles the moment you get up. Most people have such nightmares, but wake up from them when they realise that a new day is starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dad! Very nice of you to say :-) Good analogy - let's try to banish those monsters!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. This describes me to a TEE! Every year I tell myself I'm going to worry less - but it's yet to happen! Loved this as a little Sunday evening inspiration, maybe this week will be my week!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so so happy that this has inspired you! This week CAN be your week, hit it lady!!!

      Polly xx

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS