Review: Saying Goodbye To The UK From The Ampersand Hotel

Monday 13 April 2015

While I revel in the luxury of a big-name hotel with a global presence, there is nothing I like better than a small, quirky and unique boutique. Which is why I had had my eye on The Ampersand in South Kensington for quite a while.

For the end of our most recent UK trip, after all the wedding planning and traipsing around the country, Rich and I decided it was only right that we allowed ourselves a little extravagance, and hastily booked ourselves in for our last night in the country.


I was delighted to find that the hotel was every bit as unique as I had hoped. In keeping with the Ampersand's 'theme', the walls are decorated in a series of astronomical, botanical, architectural, geometric and ornithological motifs.


The grand central staircase is adorned with a winding tree of (literal) fairy lights.


And best of all, the rooms are beautifully furnished, with huge, comfortable beds, sofas and soft furnishings...


Quirky, monochrome bathrooms...



Impeccable bedside reading material...


And floor to ceiling windows which flood the space with sunshine.


The Drawing Rooms downstairs provided the perfect comfortable location to meet the in-laws for a catch-up over a coffee...



Before we headed out to experience some of the wonders of the local area. For honestly, this is the true delight of this stunning hotel. It sits just thirty seconds walk from South Kensington tube station, arguably the most perfectly appointed part of London, and most definitely one of my favourite places to spend my precious time when I am in the capital.

My top 6 highlights of the local area:



1. Local museums and art galleries including the Victoria & Albert Museum which I had visited just days before, The Saatchi Gallery, The Science Museum and the gorgeous building of The Natural History Museum.


2. The unique pubs, cafes and boutiques of Belgravia, our favourite of which is William Curley, the gorgeously decadent chocolatier.






3. The bars of the Fulham Road, a few stops down the District Line. We think The Fulham Wine Rooms is unmissable.








4. Brunch at Muriel's Kitchen








5. Any of the other pretty streets, shops, cafes and restaurants around the area of South Ken, the King's Road and Sloane Square (It was too difficult to pick just one!)






6. The Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just a short walk to the East. If you want to combine a stunning view of both park and palace at the same time, then a short trot through St. James's Park is just the ticket.






And so it was, that The Ampersand became more than just a beautiful boutique hotel to us; it was the perfect place from which to amble away our final couple of days in London while soaking up all of the capital's greatest sights, sounds and tastes. Isn't that after all, what travel is all about?

16 comments:

  1. Isn't The Ampersand just delicious? We've ventured to many a tea there! Your end to the the trip sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was simply delightful. What is the afternoon tea like? I wish I'd tried it!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect end to a great trip! I'm in love with those fairy lights - they're so cool!!

    Lauren xx
    The Lifestyle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wouldn't mind a few of them around my bed...would that be tacky?! It was too good. It made it harder to leave!!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  3. As much as I love the Four Seasons / Mandarin Oriental / One and Only etc I much prefer a unique and small boutique hotel. Though funnily enough I've never visited the Ampersand, but I've heard that they do a great afternoon tea! I can't believe you were so close to where I live but I wasn't there!
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps beautiful photography in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks love! Right back at you, your photos seem to get more stunning with every post you put up! I think it was a travesty that I was that close and didn't see you. Maybe we could convene over an Ampersand afternoon tea next time I'm back?!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to visit The Ampersand for a while now - and it looks like it did NOT disappoint! Those interiors are gorgeous. And the weather looked fantastic for your visit! What a treat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it diiiiidn't! It has to be done, after perusing your various hotel posts I think it would be right up your street! The weather was just perfect :-) Hope it's staying that way for you!!!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  6. I love the tree of fairylights and you got some stunning shots of the local area, Polly

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suze! I think the area speaks for itself, I think it's pretty difficult to capture a bad shot of that part of London :-) The tree of fairylights is magical!

      Polly xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a fabulous trip, and what a perfect way to end it! I love those quirky little boutique hotels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolann! Me too! I'm excited to get properly stuck into your New Zealand posts in due course.

      Polly xx

      Delete
  8. I've yet to do a staycation but the Ampersand looks like the perfect place. Love the pictures of St James' Park too- I work next to it but probably take it all for granted!!

    Ben | www.twentyfirstcenturygent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Ben! It's the kind of place where you can feel really relaxed and in the holiday mode even if you're only a few miles from your own front doorstep! You are so lucky working next to such a beautiful part of London - DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED!!! ;-)

      Polly xx

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I've booked the Ampersand for our honeymoon - pleased you enjoyed it!

    Sarah
    http://happinessremembers.com/

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS